Turning 21!


So young world,

My 21st is quickly approaching. Sending much love and plenty of thanks to God, my mother, father, family, the mentors, teachers, friends and support in general. I could never have made it this far without you all guidance or whatever life experience we share.
I write this with all humbleness on my heart, just looking back on the years and dreaming of the ones to come. First, I have never wanted normal birthday gifts or wanted to do normal things in life for that matter but I remember telling myself that I didn't want to celebrate my 21st in the states and that before I turn 21 I wanted to have experienced 3 countries. If you count the ones in passing then that would make it 6 but experienced, I have met my goal with 3! Quingdao, China was the 1st! Summer of 06'! Studied Mandarin Chinese and their culture. Lifetime experience with life long friends. Chihuahua, Mexico, Spring semester 07'! Produced a film using corn as a window to study Mexican culture! This experience was like no other! I went by myself, with a camera and a dream! no lie! Turned into an AMAZING adventure! Now, Berlin, Germany! Summer semester 10'. Exchange student at Berlin Uni. for the Arts.
For my 16th birthday, I wanted property! At 18, I wanted mutual funds! 21! I want to look at how my investments have grown! Everyone has control over the path they choose, make smart and wise decisions. It is true, you reap what you sow. I have been para sailing over the pacific ocean, Studied at UCLA, Mt. Holyoke, ran the youth program for Rainbow PUSH (Rev. Jesse Jackson organization), introduced President Obama (before he was the president though) and Mayor Daley, cut the ribbon for the opening of the Buckingham Fountain, motivational speaking on almost every coast... I have worked since I was 12 and always jobs that I love. My first job was at a daycare, a kid being paid to watch kids but they use to love me and my boss paid me in cash b/c well, I was too young. lol. I was in charge of the production of a 30 min. TV show weekly for CanTV, channel 19 that aired in Chi-Town and NYC! Scholarship recipient of The Pullman Foundation, Rainbow PUSH, Mayor Daley Chicago Park District, CoCo Cola....There is more that I am grateful for as well! Than, I have been blessed with the BIG one! The Beautner Family Award! of $50,000! and one of the 1st time this scholarship has been rewarded! (Big ups to the rest of the scholars!) Served 2 terms as student trustee, having the opportunity to sit along side of MAJOR successful people that I aspire to be like! Worked along side RENOWNED world leaders, had dinner with May Jemison (the 1st black astronaut), recited poetry to Nikki Giovani herself (sis Nekita saw it with her own eyes) lol, started at least 3 businesses from jewelry to party investments. Honestly, I could keep going but I just wanted to remind myself of these things I don't often appreciate. These years have been filled with excitement. Ups and downs, smiles and frowns, people coming and going, living and loving and I am NOWHERE near finish, not even halfway.
A year from my 21st birthday exactly, I will be graduating from COLLEGE! Seriously, next year graduation falls on my bday! I am happy! I am blessed, grateful and VERY THANKFUL! So let me be the 1st to say it, HAPPY 21st BDAY Whitney! Enjoy!

1 comments:

NieceJanel said...

How freakin awesome!!!!!!!!!
You. Are. Exquisite.